Sunday, January 2, 2011

Did You Get A Flu Shot?

Today's poll question; did you get a flu shot this winter? I don't bother with flu shots and this Christmas my whole family got sick except for me. I was certainly exposed to the virus, but it was never able to gain a foothold. I know lots of people who never get flu shots and never get sick, but I do believe that the people at risk of harm from the flu should be vaccinated. I have been vaccinated against polio, tetanus, hepatitis, maybe even smallpox, I just don't personally believe that I need flu and cold vaccine because I rarely get sick despite frequent exposure.

Certainly the pig flu has not been a story this year, but there have been a number of outbreaks of other bugs restricted to certain geographic areas that hasn't been getting much press.

7 comments:

  1. always get a flu shot - worked in long term care and it is mandatory and have continude to get one. I feel they are worth while

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a flu shot before, but then my work doesn't involve excessive face-to-face contact.

    The only shots I've had in recent years were travel vaccines for Typhoid, Yellow Fever, and a few others that were required for the areas I visited. Otherwise, I generally avoid needles if at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes as it is mandatory and I don't like it as you really never get a proper flu just a horrid headache and pains that seem yo last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one time I had a flu shot, I got the flu and was sick as a dog for a few days and was off work. The lingering cough lasted 3 weeks. This was a big turn-off to getting another. I suppose I should one of these years, as I have not had a flu for 4-5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always get a flu shot. Science works (unless it conspires with politicians on the climate).

    The shot actually has a memory and can last several years thus building your immunity. One of the things I’ve noticed travelling to the 3rd world is that we are so sanitized relative to them that our immunity system is not nearly as strong. Remember what happened when the Europeans met up with natives in this hemisphere, the natives nearly got wiped out. So whatever you can do to let science build up your immunity system in a shrinking world is a good idea.

    nomdeblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have found my natural immunity more than adequate for 66 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maintain a healthy immune system by eating well and taking adequate supplements, particularly vitamin D. Flu is most prevalent in the winter months when most of us are not getting any vitamin D naturally. I won't be allowing anyone to inject a foreign substance into my blood stream.

    ReplyDelete