Monday, January 17, 2011

Do You Curl?

Today's poll question; have you tried the sport of curling more than once in your life? Yesterday I had an Australian tourist ask me what percentage of the Canadian population curls, and I figured I'd poll my audience to find out how many of you have done it more than once. My guess to the Aussie was 5%-10%, but I did tell him that those who like it, like it a lot. I have curled a few times this year, which I would do more during the golf off-season except that you can golf year round in Vancouver. Golf is my primary form of recreation.

I will say this, curling is one Olympic sport that people watch and speculate that if they picked up the game tomorrow, they could possibly make it to an Olympics. I don't think people appreciate just how difficult it is to play that game at the level of the pros. Novice players can randomly make perfect shots, but to play professionally you need to be able to make great shots 95% of the time.

4 comments:

  1. Can anyone tell me who won the games yesterday in the Continental Cup skin games. Watched all wkend but had to leave yesterday. Missed the last half of the womens game and all of Martins.
    Mary T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but it's remotely possible that a middle aged, slightly overwieght guy like me could win an Olympic gold medal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary T go to TSN.com & U can watch the whole game.
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its "playing" in the Briar Patch that is the toughest part of the game!!

    ReplyDelete