Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Karzai

In the wake of Hamid Karzai's re-election victory in Afghanistan, I would like to go on the record saying that I was cheering for him to lose. The situation in Afghanistan has deteriorated this past year and while I cannot say with any certainty that Karzai bears any responsibility for the deterioration; a peaceful regime change might have been a healthy thing. Ultimately I don't know enough about the internal machinations of the Afghani government to score the effectiveness of their politicians, hence why I did not endorse a candidate prior to the election. Now that Karzai has been declared the winner, we have to work with him.

Regardless of who should have won, we have to support the guy who did win even if it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I defer all of my Afghanistan opinion to Chris Alexander. If Chris says Karzai is the guy, then I say Karzai is the guy. The sooner we can get Christ Alexander into parliament, the better.

See Also: Afghanistan; HELLO? YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have similar feelings towards Karzai as I had towards Mushareff. You don't really feel like you should trust him, but you don't really have much of a choice in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can trust Karzai. The issue is that he can't control what transpires in the ridings. The electoral machine in the ridings may be corrupt but that doesn't mean that Karzai is the puppeteer pulling the strings.

    ReplyDelete