Friday, November 20, 2009

Don Martin, my Old Yeller

I am watching Don Martin on the Soloman Show right now. I listened to about 5 minutes of Martin speaking, then I hit mute and started typing. I have to ask the question, what the hell happened to Don Martin? I used to really respect him as a journalist, and I used to agree with him a lot. In the past two years, I have found myself disagreeing with him a little more each time he writes or speaks. In 2004 I agreed with him 75% of the time. In 2009, I agree with him maybe 20% of the time. Did I just get smarter with age, or did Donny Boy catch rabies while he was chasing Tie Domi's sloppy seconds? It is kind of sad being little Timmy watching Old Yeller get sick, until eventually you have to lock him in the back shed and decide.

To use a phrase popular with Mr. Martin, he has "jumped the shark". Just let him passionately chase his latest love interest Danielle Smith around Alberta and mute him. What was the turning point? Was it the Belinda book?

Or as I wrote last month; Don Martin, the Argonaut...

Or there was the time that Don Martin proclaimed a great week for Iggy, just before Iggy's personal poll numbers took a dive not seen since Kamikaze pilots in WWII. A good week for Iggy? I could not disagree more with Don Martin.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. When Mr. Martin was writing for the Calgary Herald he and I exchanged e-mails on a couple of topics. We were generally in agreement on most subjects. Since Mr. Martin has moved to Ottawa, it seems he has been afflicted with he Central Canada syndrome: Big, intrusive government is good government, and the provinces only role in Confederation is to supply the wants of Ontario and Quebec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of little Timmy peeking through the fence was literally my facial expression when I first read Martin's theory that Danielle Smith was a threat to the Federal Torise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Ottawa, lazy journalists get spoon fed by Liberal spin doctors - guess he decided it is better to regurgetate their press releases than it is to work at being a journalists - too bad; he used to have an interesting point of view - oh, well, he's just one more in a pile of Liberals hacks making a living spouting the gospel - he must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the turning point was his book on Belinda Stronach. He ceased being a journalist and became a groupie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing missing on Don Martin is the big letter L on his forehead. Mr Bill

    ReplyDelete