Friday, June 18, 2010

Liberal Radio Ads

Tonight when I was driving home from work (yes I do have a job), I heard a new Liberal Party of Canada radio ad on the Team 1040 that mentioned "fake lake" 3-5 times. Granted it never said what the reflection pool actually cost, it just kept repeating fake lake, boondoggle, and out of control deficits. First, our deficit is not out of control. If you compare it to the rest of the G20, we are among the best performers in this economic downturn. What did kind of surprise me was that the cash strapped Liberal Party was actually PAYING for advertising time. Moreover they purchased the ad on the Team 1040 during sportstalk radio, which has an audience of maybe 75%-85% men. Roughly 60%-65% of men in BC (as in much of the country) vote Conservative. Basically the Liberals are targeting Tory voters with fake lake gate.

The bottom line is that for a Party in such serious financial trouble, they must be very concerned about their poor polling numbers to actually pay money for radio advertising in a non-election period. I don't know how much a spot goes for on the Team 1040, but given that hockey season is over I'm sure their prices have dropped. When the Canucks are in season, their ratings have to be significantly higher. In the summer they spend way too much time talking CFL, which while there are plenty of fans, there are easily 15 hardcore Canucks for each hardcore Lions fan, if not more.

I am curious to know if they are running this ad cross country, or if they are targeting specific regions. How much total money are the Liberals spending on this blitz?

8 comments:

  1. I heard it too about 4:30 PM on News 1130, "traffic and weather together" Vancouver, so perhaps it was a local blitz aimed at all Friday commuters. I hope all the exaggerations and lies cost them a small fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard it on CFRB 1010 in Ontario too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard it too on Winnipeg's CJOB (we are travelling across several provinces) I thought it was because I was in NDP country, but maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing them on CKNW's Bill Good show but I thought that Bill was just playing them on his own dime because he's such a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about how great our economy is- this apparently doesn't warrant great advertising from the news in the radio

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess our economy and international praise for our country is not welcoming news for the media to air regularly on the radio but to advertise not only the 'fake' liberals but fake media as well in a fake world of theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect the fundraising letters from the Libs are along the lines of: "help us fight back against Harper, expose how evil he is, how he is harming Canada, blah blah". So a Liberal donor will expect to see the Libs spending SOME of the donations on this "fighting back". Otherwise, a donor will feel like they are being played, just so the Libs can build up their war chest.

    In Feb, I got a letter from the CPC saying: "We are planning a national campaign with TV advertising, newspaper ads, mailings and email contacts. Our goal is to reach 1 million voters in targeted ridings ...". So when I read that, and at the same time see Candice Hoeppner lobbying, advocating, etc to get her gun registry bill passed, I say to myself: "hey, the Party is being smart about using my money, leveraging it to win vulnerable coalition ridings, and get us closer to a majority".

    Do Lib donors sense that THEIR Party is making good use of THEIR money ? Hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I'm not understanding the promo, I thought it was bashing McGuinty's $25 Bilion deficeit and Toronto Mayor Miller's $3.0 billion debt with a $800'000'000 2010 deficeit
    and the old Liberal AdScam with $140'000'000 still missing.
    As for the fake-Lake, Didn't hurt Walt Disney when he made a Boat ride or Monorail system to enjoy the Fire works as the Park closed .

    ReplyDelete