Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Baby Beluga Dies

Yesterday I was saddened to hear of the death of the baby beluga whale at the Vancouver aquarium. I have visited the aquarium a few times and I find it to be a wonderful place to visit. I hadn't yet been to see the baby beluga, and now that it has passed I'm sad that I didn't. While they were doing the necropsy on the carcass they found obstructions in the blow hole, which included a penny. There is a high probability that the penny was thrown into the tank by a human being. My only criticism of the tank that they are in is that it should be larger for such a large mammal, but I do support captive breeding programs for threatened or endangered animals.

2 comments:

  1. Hey this isn't about Lizzy May,

    Too bad, I feel like kicking the idiot who threw the suff in the groin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps Japan can send their team to study it and put it on the menu. How many whaling nations are on board for a Carbon Tax?

    I also agree we should not have animals on display for profit.(I am not discounting the emotional need for protection or breeding of species, we need to be more accountable and realistic with our efforts)

    I have not been back to BC in several years and do remember the exhibit and a baby.

    ReplyDelete