Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Should Don Cherry Be Awarded The Order Of Canada?

Tonight's poll question, do you think Don Cherry should be awarded the Order of Canada? Today Michael J Fox joined the club with two other people, and once again Don Cherry was not recognized. We are talking about an iconic figure who gets a rock star reception virtually anywhere he goes in the country. One could also argue that he is a divisive figure that breeds animosity. I have watched Coach's Corner virtually every week for just about my entire life, in addition to owning a large collection of Rock'em Sock'em videos. The Don's influence on my childhood is likely the reason I regard Europeans as whinning, prissy, babies. Which is ironic considering 100% of my ancestors came from Europe (all my grandparents were born on this continent).

So what do you think? Should he become a member of the Order of Canada? I can think of a few people who are in that club who don't belong there. Michael J Fox, I will not object to. I absolutely loved Back to the Future, except maybe the 3rd one. It is fun to watch Back to the Future 2, and look at what they thought the world would look like in 2015. We should have flying cars in the next 5 years. Though my own opinion on flying cars is that there are enough drivers on our roads who can barely drive in 2 dimensions, I don't know about opening up a 3rd dimension to civilian traffic. You could be asking for trouble.

9 comments:

  1. If I were he and it was offered I would tell them to shove it given the bunch of losers that receive this award. Sure some have merit but it is really watered down, I think, just saying

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Don Newman, Peter Mansbridge and other CBC clabtraps why not Cherry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don Cherry's order of canada is long overdue

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Order of CANADA has become a joke and Cherry deserves better than that.

    Rob C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Michael J. Fox is being recognized for his tireless support for a cure for Parkinson's disease. Despite his infirmities, he continues his quest. I acknowledge that for this reason, he is a worthy candidate of the Order of Canada. As a movie star, not so much....
    Don Cherry's support of kids playing hockey and his no-nonsense, lengthy career in promoting our national sport should definitely be recognized. He is one of the last bastions of political incorrectness and we all love him for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don Cherry is a one trick pony, so no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don's love for Canada and support for our troops who love him for caring and thinking and bragging about them, the troops, is worthy of a 'Order of Canada' but, as 'Order of Canada' became a joke a laugh. Can you imagine standing next to the abortionist(name?)who got an award? Nah, not worth the time nor energy.

    I think Cherry he has all the awards right now. more so, than Mansbridge, Newman or the abortionist ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. why the hell would he want it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Order of Canada isn't worth the material it is made out of anymore. It has turned into a Liberal employee of the month award.

    ReplyDelete