Sunday, June 27, 2010

Germany Wins Battle of Britain

This morning Germany crushed England in the World Cup knockout round 4-1, as the Brits join France, Italy, and the United States as spectators for the remainder of the tournament. The Krauts rolled over the Brits like they were the French army circa 1940. The long tortured English soccer fans will have another 4 years to lick their wounds before failing again in 2014. Although Germany won the game comfortably and dominated the English, there was controversy over a missed call on a goal; but either way the best team won. I am actually looking forward to the next game of Germany against Argentina. It is not often that I'm proud of my 1/4 German lineage, but I am today.

I have to say that I’ve been enjoying the World Cup, even though I don’t enjoy soccer. In fact the World Cup is the only time I even remotely pay attention to the sport. It’s fun because so many people around the world care so much, so having some knowledge about this epic event does give you a topic of conversation with people you otherwise would not share common interests.

4 comments:

  1. all 5 south american teams made it to the round of 16 and 2 of 3 from north america. good deal in my books. europe needs to pick up their pace or it will be a "non-european final". germany does look good tho but still calling for brazil to go thru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can only imagine the grief of an English soccer fan who happens to be a Toronto Maple Leaf supporter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Argentina vs Brazil final would be epic. It might even start a war!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I am picking Chile to beat Brazil tomorrow morning in a stunning upset.

    ReplyDelete