Saturday, October 17, 2009

Can we set up a "Jedi Council" of former Tory leaders?

I would like to propose an idea, and I would like to see if it can gain any traction. I would like it if twice per year, we could assemble a summit of former Tory leaders to gather around a round table and discuss government policy. We can call them the "Tories of the Roundtable" with leaders who ran government, provincial or federal, under a Tory banner. I'm talking Brian Mulroney, Mike Harris, Ralph Klein, Bernard Lord, even allow Joe Clark and Kim Campbell. We can send invitations to Preston Manning, and maybe a Bill Vanderzaam. They can debate policy, and then the Council votes on the policy position. If it is approved by a majority, it is decreed policy of the supreme council. The Federal government won't be legally bound by the results, but it would be an enlightening exercise. Jean Chretien and Paul Martin won't go away, I want my former Tory leaders to be a part of the public debate...well except maybe Joe Clark. I don't have a lot of time left for the man, though he was leader of Canada when I was born.

8 comments:

  1. I'm an Albertan and Joe Clark (an Albertan) is NOT allowed at this 'summit'. Preston Manning, is the smartest and most honorable of the bunch. He should be chair.

    Having teased and cajoled, I suspect these people (other than Joe) respect and admire each other but a room together? There are to many PC's on this list and not enough 'C's and that is why the party split apart.
    This 'summit' needs fresher blood so those are the names you really want......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all these former leaders, I guarantee that the one Scott Reid hates the most is Mike Harris. That has to count for something. There are a lot of PC's in the center, and you need the center to form government.

    Mike Harris can be like Lancelot, and Mulroney can be the old sword in the stone guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regardless of why the "P" split from the "C", neither can form government without "PC".

    ReplyDelete
  4. True!
    I want Harris at the 'summit' but I am referring to the real, 'old school' PC's like Clarke. He was a complete disaster and still is a bitter old man, imo. My jury is still out on Mulroney even though I was rooting for him during the enquiry. I love the character and most of the things he accomplished while in office. I am just disappointed.
    Now if we could get a Stanfield type, we would be on to something! lol (I am serious about that btw)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea and broadcast live on the CBC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I don't believe that the Harper party can get away with the masquerade that it is the Progressive Conservative party that was broad enough to attract support from a wide cross-section of Canadians."

    Definetly not Clark.

    His political instincts were wrong on so many levels; from the fiasco of his own government's defeat, to his abject opposition to the merging of the two parties and his forecast of doom for such a merger, and to his stated preference of a Liberal leader over a Conservative one. His bitterness still rankles whenever he pops his head up from his obscure seclusion to say something.

    No question, Deb Gray for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good portion of that list are crooks and douchebags. The only two I'd care to receive advice from are Bernard Lord and Preston Manning.

    The thing that makes the CPC so much better than the Liberals is that we DON'T have the garbage of the past clinging on and trying to run things from the backroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Explain to me why Mike Harris is a douche bag and anyone else is not. I am an expert on Mike Harris if you want to belittle my idol.

    ReplyDelete