Friday, October 16, 2009

Financial Post Stock Market Challenge

I am pleased to say that I am participating in the Financial Post Stock Market Challenge, where prizes are awarded on a weekly basis, including bricks of gold. I want to win some prizes, so I am going to tackle the stock game in the next few months. I would encourage everyone to take a shot at this exciting and enlightening contest. It is free to play, and you get to invest $100,000 of pretend money in the North American stock markets. I went with mostly Canadian stocks, mostly because I want to focus on Canadian content. I will keep people posted on my progress. If any other blogging Tories want to join the contest, I would enjoy reading how your portfolios are doing.

To play visit www.fpstockchallenge.com:

I already picked my portfolio, and I went with a major league diversified portfolio and did assume some risk for potential reward. I went with 3 stocks to get $8000 of pretend money and 15 to get $5000, and one for whatever is left over. Here is a brief overview of some of my choices. The rest will be my little secret...

1) Royal Bank: Best Canadian bank. I suggest people at home buy shares in whatever bank they hold their savings with.

2) Potash Corp: I love their ticker symbol, and they produce a product that is in demand in every country in the world.

3) Research in Motion: Jim Balsille is a sentimental favourite of mine, and the company produces remarkable technology.

4) Biovail: I owe it to Eugene for saving the Senators, so if you are going to choose a Canadian Pharma, gotsta take Biovail.

5) Bombardier: I don't know enough about aerospace to pick the best in the business, but I know that it is great for Canada if Bombardier flourishes.

6) Rogers Communication: Go Jays Go! I consume Rogers products and services because I want the Blue Jays to be competitive.

7) Barrick Gold: I needed a gold company, and I basically flipped a coin.

8) Toyota: I like them enough to buy their vehicles. They are great on gas. I blew out a tire last week and required roadside assistance. The operator on the phone at Toyota Service was fantastic.

9) EnCana: Solid.

10) Canadian Natural Resources: I picked up a few Canadian energy producers.

11) Canadian Tire: My favourite Canadian retailer.

4 comments:

  1. I have two stocks left to pick. I want a Canadian waste collector/recycler, and one other high risk gamble like a Ballard Power. I don't know that I trust Ballard Power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have either BNK (oil) or YRI (gold) in the secret folder? No, don't tell me, just asking.
    For BNK I am predicting a 10%+ uptick before the end of the year. YRI loves to jump around a lot, but would still be around 6%+ up by Dec end.
    Thanks for this, I will participate too.
    MariaS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went with a different oil company, and I have a uranium supplier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they just closed the site now

    ReplyDelete