Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Question Period; What About the Economy Stupid?

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to subject myself to Question Period. I suppose if I want to play a role framing the debate, I have to at least watch the Government and the Opposition debate public policy. Hold on, public policy? Iggy is so mystified with "Logo-Gate" that he can't see the economy through the stimulus cheques! How's about the TSX rising over 3000 points since March? I seem to remember Iggy back in the spring proclaiming Jim Flaherty to be the worst Finance Minister in the world. I'm going to start calling our Finance Minister Jimmy 3000.

Canada's economic recovery has been fantastic, especially when you look at how some of our friends are doing. Many of the "doom and gloomers" dramatically overestimated how bad this recession was going to be. If Bob Rae was Chernobyl, this wasn’t even a “3 Mile Island”. Or perhaps the “experts” believed Stephanie Dion would be Prime Minister when they prepared their dismal forecasts? It baffles me how the Opposition can be this "outraged" when all economic indicators indicate that the worst is behind us, the best is ahead of us, and we can thank Jimmy 3000 and the Conservative Government.

It is simultaneously fascinating to watch my public broadcaster desperately try to frame a "public discord" to the benefit of a flailing Opposition. There is an awful lot of good news that they are generally avoiding. I can get non-stop all day coverage of a balloon hoax, but I can't get a story on the marvelous performance of the Potash Corp of Saskatchewan? I have POT in my portfolio, do you? I doubt Iggy has POT in his portfolio, though I would suggest that he's been smoking a lot of it lately.

What do you think Canadians care more about, a dumb marketing idea or a thriving economic recovery? I have said it before and I will say it again, if “Logo-Gate” is the best they've got, we are in fantastic shape!

Keep up the great work Mister Prime Minister!

"An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today."

-Laurence J. Peter

5 comments:

  1. I'm just thankful that I was living in Canada with a Conservative Government when the shit hit the fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. It was a stupid idea to give out "You've Won The Lottery" cheques with the logo on it, but at least they're putting the money into stimulus and not some guys back pocket...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iceman,

    Great post again.

    Unfortunately, I think MI has already ceded the daily control of the party over to Bob Rae and Warren Kinsella.

    The latest door knob stunt has been called out by Jane Taber. The failed scrum by the Easter bunny resulted in a direct question from the reporter suggesting this makes the Liberals look desperate for trying to extend the cheque-gate scandal.

    MI will have to make a decision regarding the Bob Rae/WK sideshow if he is going to keep his job until the thinkers conference.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should all just go and buy some Olympic mittens (they are scandalously Liberal RED, aren't they?). I think maybe Hedy Fry, in collusion with Gordon Campbell, bribed the designers! Why has this scandal not broken? It must be that the 2 conservative media supporters did not pick this up!

    Iggy wants to have a daycare conversation about logogate and knobscam. The adult conversations with business leaders did not seem to have gone so well.

    So, what DID happen on the ADSCAM file today, anyway? No update anywhere ....

    I really like the way the Lieberal platform is shaping up: 1)green shaft continued, relabeled subsidizing unproven and expensive "green job" technologies and basically creating havoc in the huge resource sector; 2)universal daycare sometime after Iggy retires(cough!); 3)increasing taxes to pay down the deficit; 4) boondoggle trade missions to existing active export partners; and 5)many useless national women's programs in areas of provincial jurisdiction (pink book).

    No wonder Iggy has lost weight and is looking a bit pale and seasonally goulish - he really does not buy the lefty positions he is being forced to adopt to create a "differentiating" Lieberal platform. Nor does he really like doorknob tactics. I think he is not having fun any more, as no one wants a waffling conversation; instead, hugs from 4-year-olds feel good, as does the red sweater as fall descends on Ottawa, home of his dreams of True Patriot Power - Not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch question period!?!?!?
    I'd rather watch two kindergarten children squabbling over a toy. It's mine! No, it's mine!
    The kindergarten debate is much more enlightening and stimulating; and the participants are much more intelligent.

    ReplyDelete