Friday, October 23, 2009

Does calling Ignatieff "Rasputin" equal racism?

For the first time in my life, I have been accused of being racist against Russians. Interesting development. Have Ignatieff supporters noticed that a politician can deflect all criticism by invoking the racism card? Is it about to become common practice to accuse Iggy's detractors of being Russian-hating extremists? In this specific incident, I had referred to Iggy as "Rasputin" in a post, and a commentor speculated that it was a racist slur against all Russians.

I first started calling him Rasputin when I learned that Iggy is obsessed with his Russian ancestors who worked in the administration of the last Czar of Russia. Rasputin was a "witch doctor" who arguably contributed to the fall of the Czar's regime; though Rassy was murdered by Iggy's forefathers before the revolution was officially under way. I have in the past recommended the song "Rasputin" by Boney M to become Ignatieff's official theme song. "But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger for power became known to more and more people, the demands to do something about this outrageous man became louder and louder."

Chris said...

"So with the "Rasputin" comment, do you hate Russians, half-Russians, or just like to sound like it?"

Iceman replies...

"You need not play the racism card. I call him Rasputin because Rassy is widely believed to have led to the fall of the Czar of Russia. Iggy wrote more than one book about his beloved Russian ancestors who were in the Czar's government. That's why I call Iggy Rasputin. It has nothing to do with hating Russians, but a contributing factor to his ancestors fleeing Russia."

3 comments:

  1. Silly, silly, silly and you responded with a clear and logical answer.

    On the other hand, how do these people justify the asinine handles that have been attached to other politicians such as the Prime Minister or Conservative MP's?
    I have been disgusted by many of them but my choice has always been, consider the source and don't give the childish behaviour a louder voice.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Iggy is no Rasputin.
    Romulan Commander yes, .......Rasputin no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ukrainian independence conjures up images of embroidered peasant shirts, the nasal whine of ethnic instruments ..."
    "My difficulty in taking Ukraine (its sovereignty) seriously goes deeper ... I'm also what Ukrainians call a Great Russian, and there is a trace of old Russian disdain for these 'little Russians.' " - Michael Ignatieff

    I am sure that Canadians of Ukrainian background don't mind the Rasputin label on Count Iffy at all.

    ReplyDelete