Monday, October 12, 2009

Bill Maher: A Love Story

Allow me to declare at the onset, I love Bill Maher about as much as Mike Moore loves Capitalism. "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" I even counted myself as a fan of Maher. His jokes made me laugh, I enjoyed his perspective, and as a pundit I craved his opinion. But then 911 happened, and he became hung up on this philosophical question of "why do they hate us"? It seemed as though the more he asked that question, the more he began to hate his own country. He generally whittled down his audience to this niche base of left wing activists and now adjusts his performances to cater to his audience.

I hung on far longer than I ever should have. I continued to listen to the podcast of his show while I found myself disagreeing with him a little bit more each episode. To the point where I pretty much stopped agreeing with him on just about every issue. He lost his mind somewhere in that world he exists in. I think Dennis Miller said it best. He used to do Maher's show when Bill was in "the laugh business" but stopped as soon as he evolved into "the applause business”. I tolerated listening to a man that I completely disagreed with because I do want to know what the "pundits" on the other side are saying at certain turning points in history. It helps me build a rebuttal and a counter-argument. I love when PJ O'Rourke does the show. The Tucker Carlson episode was outstanding. Tucker just pummeled Bill like he was Ivan Drago fighting Apollo Creed.

I just listened to the past couple of episodes of "Real Time", and I officially cannot listen to that crap anymore. I just listened to an entire episode where he talked about nothing but anyone who has a different opinion than Obama has to be a racist, whether they hate Blacks or Mexicans, we don't know. He now says that anyone with a different opinion is doing so out of racism, whether they are conscious of it or not. I am opposed to the policy initiatives being introduced by Pelosi and Obama, but if I think it is bad economic policy, must I first prove that I am not a racist before even beginning to share my educated opinion? Where do we go from here Bill? How am I supposed to build a rebuttal to your accusation that I publicly oppose Obama's policies because I hate minorities and that it has nothing to do with my degree in Mathematical Economics?

We cannot build a constructive policy debate under these preconditions. I am proud to announce that the Bill Maher Show has been deleted from my I-Tunes.

Oh, and for the greatest hypocrisy, Maher made a grandiose statement about how the people opposed to Obamacare have fat people among them, and fat people are not allowed to have an opinion of health care. Really Bill? Because I remember you talking to Mike Moore a few years ago before the release of Sicko where you essentially declared Moore a prophet in our time. This as we await Moore's next project, "2nd and 3rd helpings: A Love Story" or perhaps "Masturbation: A Love Story"

1 comment:

  1. over 1000 people read this, and nobody had a comment? Did I nail it and there is nothing left to say? Or did I miss the point all together?

    ReplyDelete