Tuesday, October 20, 2009

POT fuels Iceman's portfolio

I am in my first week of the National Post's Stock Market Challenge, and I had a strong first two days on the strength of Potash Corp of Saskatchewan. I am a big fan of the fertilizer producer, and the speculation that they are for sale also helps. I still have 5% of my portfolio in cash, looking for one more high upside play. It is interesting to check the current price of a stock against the 52 week high and low to see where it is in the cycle. I strongly recommend participating in this contest, there are lots of prizes to be won! Some of my Alberta resource stocks took a hit today. Our resource sector does benefit from a strong Canadian dollar.

Ironically, back in Feburary when POT was trading at $80 and the Canadian dollar was at 80 cents US, I recommended that my father sell some of his American holdings and buy POT. I never bothered to ask if he listened to my advice, but he would have made a pretty penny on POT had he listened to me. Now POT is over $100 and the Canadian dollar is almost at par. I know my dad did not listen to me when I recommended he hop on the Archer Daniels Midland bandwagon, which would have netted him another pretty profit.

It's all about the POT!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about that. I really enjoyed it. I am going to be starting to pick my portfolio here soon.

    Rocky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Harris is on the payroll of Magna - big dollars - he was just supporting his boss. However I think Harris knew everybody would see through air head Belinda and she would not come close to reigns of leadership. Belinda's biggest booster was the idiot Mulroney and that was sad but taught me a lot about Mulroney the phony.

    ReplyDelete