Thursday, October 21, 2010

Should Canada Have The Death Penalty?

Today's poll question based on the recent details of the Colonel Williams murders; do you think that Canada should have the death penalty? My own opinion is that we should be executing multiple murderers, but that's it. When Canada abolished the death penalty in 1976, forensic science was nowhere near as advanced as the CSI world of today. There was a far higher probability of convicting innocents 30 years ago. Forensic science has evolved enormously since the abolition of capital punishment.

People can cite statistics that the death penalty doesn't deter violent crime, as lunatics will always behave badly whether the consequence is life in prison or lethal injection. That's fine. If you are psychotic enough to become a serial killer, I don't think that the difference between life in prison or death is going to convince you not to be crazy. My contention is that these most violent offenders can never be released, and it is a waste of tax payers money to keep them incarcerated for life. How much does it cost us each year to keep Paul Bernardo locked up? He was convicted 15 years ago and is currently 46 years old (meaning he has 20+ years on his life expectancy). When all is said and done the guy will probably have been locked up for 40 years after his conviction. That costs a lot of money for somebody who forfeited his right to live among us.

8 comments:

  1. why are we wasting time in a court. williams has pleaded guilty. all the info and evidence will not be lost and will be kept in files for at least his lifetime. jeez save us some money and lock him up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO, no one should vote in favour of the death penalty unless they would be willing to throw the switch, pull the scaffold lever or inject the drugs themselves.
    The only way ANY killing is justified is self-defence or war.
    If I was a convicted murderer, I would much rather be executed than face the rest of my natural life behind bars and so I believe that a life sentence should mean life.
    Take williams' pension to help defray the cost of his incarceration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous8:03, I would most definately pull the switch on the likes of Clifford Olsen, Paul Bernardo, and now, sadly enough, Russell William (I wouldn't be sad to pull the trigger, just sad that there is another murdering psycho around)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its not my dream job... but I'd fry that scum bag and feel good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bert and Alex
    If you could take a life that easily, what separates you from those in our prisons who have killed? I don't ask this question as a smart-ass, I just know I couldn't do it.
    And no, I am neither a coward nor a pussy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lefty speaks Anon.

    Yes we should have the death penalty for people like Williams et al no doubts about guilt. Also if declared an dangerous offender they have the right to appeal every 10 yrs or so and drag it all back for the families concerned

    If no death penalty then change the law and stop concurrent sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pissedoff:
    Why do presume I am a "lefty"? Do you believe that one can only be a conservative if they hold the same beliefs as you? What a sad state of affairs that would be! Why I guess that would make us Liberals wouldn't it?
    Get a CPC majority and I think you'll see monsters like Williams, Pickton etc. will never see the light of day (nor bother victims' families) until they get planted six feet under.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always on the fence with this topic, I switch back and forth a lot but always at the center is my belief that multiple murderers, child killers and molesters, etc have a special spot in the middle of a Lethal Injection gurney. I personally take issue with those who quote 'an eye for an eye' and use biblical references because of my personal belief that God meant HE(she?) would be in charge of 'an eye for an eye', not people. But whenever I think about a family member being murdered by someone, my thoughts immediately revert back to thinking there is definitely a place for Capital Punishment.

    I do think that the stories of people wrongly convicted of crime play with my conscience as well, but if there is a truly air-tight case, a lot of DNA evidence, irrefutable proof, and so on - why are we going to feed and clothe such an animal for the rest of his/her life and allow them to possibly walk free to do it again one day?

    But I am still a fence-sitter on this issue and believe that if we do bring it back, the rules have to be carefully thought out and dealt with correctly because mistakes cannot be tolerated on this issue. You cannot pardon a dead person and set them free.

    ReplyDelete