Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic Protests

It has begun, the Games of the 21st Winter Olympiad. As the torch winds its way through metro Vancouver, international dignitaries like the Governator Arnold Schwarzenegger have been greeted with, sigh, protests. The same clowns who did a dry run of their juvenility on "Prorogie Day" are back out in "force" in a vain attempt to gain support through civil disobedience...clowns on parade. My instincts are telling me that I should be heading downtown this afternoon and evening to observe and report.

These protests are not of the spontaneous variety. They have been meticulously planned since it was announced that Vancouver had been awarded the Olympic Games. It has been nearly 5 years since I moved to Vancouver. I took one look at Dalton McGuinty's first budget and the little angel sitting on my shoulder said "get the f^@k out of this place!" So I packed all my belongings into my Toyota hatchback and drove across the country. Within days of arriving in Vancouver and listening to talk radio; I became acquainted with a collection of Marxist ideologues who call themselves the Anti Poverty Commission (a gentle euphemism for "collection of vagrants who vandalize public property and trash the Premier's office with the objective of achieving a political ends").

They declared their intent to engage in large scale protests several years ago, and Prorogie Day was a dry run. Most of them are lazy slackers who want to collect welfare instead of getting a job, so they have lots of free time.  The logistics, recruitment, tactics, and strategy have been half a decade in the making. Actually considering the amount of effort that went into this planning process, the number of people who have shown up has to be quite a disappointment. I will be downtown later today to witness the anti-globalization clowns in action, but hopefully this time there will be enough protestors that I can actually find them. I am really excited to observe these miscreants in their natural habitat.  More to come!

"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

-Sir Winston Churchill

5 comments:

  1. Excuse me for being blunt, but...

    Each one of those protesters deserves a label nailed to their forehead, which reads...

    "Hi, I'm an as***le!"

    I have zero tolerance for this crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An important thing to remember is that left-wing protests tend to be really disjointed and aimless, so you'll probably see a bunch of anti-war protesters, anti-bottled water protesters, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the same "activists" seem to come out for every "cause". I'd call them "the one-percenters", but the biker gangs in California used to call themselves that, and I don't want to offend them as they at least support themselves.

    When I used to live in Vancouver, 60's to 90's, I attended a few of these protest rallies just to see what was going on, and noticed many of the same faces at a lot of them.

    From interviews I've seen on TV and in Papers, they usually are on welfare,whining about something they didn't get for nothing.

    I ran out of sympathy for these types back in the 60's,as did most taxpayers whose taxes they protest on.

    DMorris

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we made them hold their protest in the railway yard in Port Coquitlam after 7:00pm we could at least say we learned from the Chinese Olympics...If they get a permit.
    I left vancouver years ago and I can still identitfy the same clowns by name by watching the boob tube!
    In the end it's our media which is responsible for giving them the time of day. Without that coverage, nothing would happen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I support the Freedom of Assembly and right to make as ASS of yourself.

    I just want them to pay for the security services required and have paid for any clean up required.

    ReplyDelete