Sunday, February 7, 2010

Amelia

Last night I rented the movie Amelia which tells the story of Amelia Earhart starring Hillary Swank. I am sad to say, I did not like her in this role. She has some magnificent performances in her portfolio, but I much preferred the Amelia Earhart as played in Night at the Museum by Amy Adams.

This movie had its moments, and if you are an enthusiast of flying I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. It also shines a light on one of the pioneers of gender equality and thus there is an educational and potentially inspirational component that could justify spending a few dollars on a rental. I just found Hilary's role uncomfortably artificial. Richard Gere was Richard Gere. The exact same character he's played in his last 10 films. He was in a zone from 1990-97, but he has dropped off considerably since.

I lost interest and stopped watching somewhere around the one hour mark. The relationship between Lancelot and the Million Dollar Baby did not feel genuine.  They should have cast Amy Adams.  Then I would have watched the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. I think both actresses were good. But I liked the movie for showing the optimistic spirit of the times and the courage of these women to break barriors in more ways than one.

    I wish someone would do a movie about the life of Maria Montessori, the first woman doctor in Italy and of course the founder of the first Casa dei Bambini which made her educational methods famous throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete