Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Alpine Cross

I would like to officially request the creation of a new Olympic sport. Snowboard cross is fast becoming one of my favourite Olympic spectacles watching four racers speed down the same course at the same time. It adds an exciting new element to the speed racing component. I would like to take it further and have alpine skiers (on modified courses) going down the same slope simultaneously. I'm sure you could find lots of skiers who would love to compete in such an event. And I'm not talking about racing down side by side tracks; I'm demanding multiple skiers on the same track.

That would be exciting, wouldn't it?  Or am I just crazy?

9 comments:

  1. More so if they were wielding swords!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iceman, it is called Skicross and is already in the olympics, four skiers going down the hill together

    ReplyDelete
  3. It already exists? That's fantastic! I'll check to see when it's on.

    I looked at the entire Olympic schedule and I could not find skicross. I suspect that it is not currently in the Olympics Anonumous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's NOT so exciting when a canuck has a several second lead and still comes in second!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iceman, it may not be an Olympic sport, but it is out there. Used to see it on OLN (I think that was the name of the channel)at odd times. It's one of those sports you only see on specialty channels, not mainstream sports ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is scheduled, accored to the CTV website the Men's is Feb 21 (day 10) and the Women's is Feb 22 (day 12)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There it is under freestyle skiing. Excellent! Though what I had in mind would have classified the sport under Alpine, but I'll take what I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ski cross is awesome! However it would be nice to see them go down an alpine course instead of the snowboarding track.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's be clear, my desired sport of "alpine cross" does not yet exist. Ski cross is a start, but going down the snowboard track sucks. Perhaps as it grows in popularity we can give the sport it's own unique couse, with a more shallow gradient than Super G, and wider gates.

    ReplyDelete