Friday, December 18, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

This evening I rented the film Inglourious Basterds. As an avid movie watcher and amateur military historian, I always enjoy the movies that depict military events, be it fiction or based on a true story. I can't say that I am much of a fan of Quentin Tarantino, other than Reservoir Dogs and parts of Pulp Fiction were really well done. But since then, a lot he's done has sucked, at least in my amateur opinion. I may not be a professional critic, but I rent a lot of movies and I have a blog, so you will listen to every last word I have to say!

(that was a spoof from the Wedding Singer if you didn't catch it)

I am pausing for a break at the 40 minute mark. Thus far the movie is entertaining, Brad Pitt is performing very well in this part, though I will say that I do not like the way the director is jumping from scene to scene.

At the one hour mark I would like to report that this movie is beautifully acted. It was cast very well, and some of these performances are award worthy. I am not convinced that I would give an award to Tarantino, but one hour in I am entertained. I am not yet half way through, but I am already considering whether or not I would like to purchase a copy of this film.

Just watched Mike Myers play a General, and given the nature of the film, he pulled it off. After Love Guru, I never cared to see him on my TV ever again, but I enjoyed his part. Love Guru might have been the worst comedy ever made. I did not laugh once.

Scene at a bar, where a group of Germans are celebrating the birth of a son named Maximillion. Interesting name. My grandmother was a pure bred Kraut. The rest of me is Celtic.

At the one hour forty five minute mark, I am prepared to say that the actor playing the chief German SS Officer deserves an award. I strongly disapprove of the existence of SS officers; I am merely speaking of his cinematic performance. The way he can hit his lines while flowing between several languages is astonishing. Ralph Fiennes still ranks #1 on my list of all-time disturbing war movie bad guys.

I certainly did not see this ending coming.

Well there you go, I started a blog post when I started the movie, and I posted it after I finished. I did not want to give away the plot while offering my opinion. It is mildly uncomfortable to place filters on my opinion, but I would like to encourage you to the view the film. At the end of the experience, I am very pleased that I spent the money to view it.

6 comments:

  1. I like the fact that Pitt's character was wearing a Black Devil's patch on his shoulder that said "USA-Canada".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an excellent movie although a tad longer than necessary. The SS officer was one of the most menacing ever and it was his charm and slyness that made him so evil. He definitely should win best actor as for best director that is up for debate but should be a nominee
    LOVED THE ENDING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also an avid film watcher and amateur historian, specifically interested in the Second World War and the fall of the Romanov dynasty in Russia.

    I appreciated your "filtered" commentary. I think I will also rent the movie.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like you love WWII themed films. I could not watch this one. It at times failed to grab my attention, was so brutal to earn my disgust, so undirected to earn my intellectual ire.

    I found it painful to watch and somewhere just after Max's party, that I got up and left the room and went to bed leaving my Michelle to watch it if she wished alone.

    If you enjoyed it Ice, good for you, talking to my Michelle, she really enjoyed it too. But I must admit I am in a minority (based on those I spoke to) that absolutely hated that flick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can someone comment of thes comments without giving something away? OK, I won't!

    You go to a Tarantino movie knowing his comic-book sensibility is at work. Its his limit and his charm at the same time. He has flat characters playing in over the top stories, paced with Elmore Leonard dialogue. You go in expecting that.

    It's entertainment. For sure. But that's all it is. It's like cotton candy. In the end, it tells you nothing about reality. That doesn't stop it from being a good movie, but its an imaginative romp in a bunch of old stereotypes that we now feel nostalgic about.

    To get all 'artsy' about Tarantino is like reviewing a comic book in the NY Review of Books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share your opinion of Tarantino so was absolutely amazed at the performance of Christoph Waltz as the SS officer. His ability to project a benign image while all along showing the menace and evil that lays below was brilliant. His performance is award worthy.

    ReplyDelete