Saturday, December 12, 2009

I want a new C-Phone

I am very pleased that a new competitor has been permitted to enter the Canadian market place, and I will very likely be heading out to buy my very own Egyptian cell phone as soon as they reach the market. While I am a nationalist in many ways, I have accumulated a critical mass of criticism about Canadian cellular service providers. I once had a Solo Mobile phone, and the plan was terrible. They kept adding new fees to my account months after I purchased the phone, and over-billed me for virtually every service provided. Eventually I was being charged $50 a month for a phone that I hardly used.

Currently I own a Rogers "pay as you go" which should be called Rogers "gauged as you go". How much I pay for how little I use my phone is absurd. What is most ridiculous is that when I buy a phone card, it expires in 30 days! That means that if I am fiscally responsible and save some minutes, Rogers steals them from me at the end of the month. I hate Rogers, and I want a new cell phone. My brain is 95% visual and 5% auditory, so I handle virtually all my correspondence over the written medium. I only use a phone for emergencies, so I can go 2 weeks without making a phone call. It is insane that I am not allowed to carry over minutes, or that I get billed if I ignore a call from a telemarketer.

I will never own a Telus phone because their union is crazy. When Telus had their work stoppage, the striking workers were following "scabs" home from work and bullying them in their driveways. As far as I am concerned, Telus does not exist, and Solo and Rogers are damned near criminal.

I suppose our Canadian cellular cartel can be credited to the Beautiful Mind of John Nash. "What if nobody goes for the blond? That's the only way we all win, the only way we all get laid gentlemen." That's what happens when you try to make prevalence a non-singular event, the main participants in the game may be able to abnormally boost their profits (like OPEC), but a price will be paid at the consumer level. I despise the big 3 in Canada for joining together to gauge consumers, and it is about time we injected healthy competition into the market to bust up the inefficient cellular cartel.

I applaud the government for doing this, and I look forward to visiting a store and replacing this expensive piece of crap that I bought from Rogers. I also don't sign cell phone contracts, they are insane. I had a few friends get roped into ridiculous contracts and were shafted for large sums of money. Also at the rate of technological innovation, what if a fantastic new piece of technology comes out a year into your 3 year contract? You then have to buy out of the contract to buy the new phone. I hate cell phone contracts and refuse to sign up for them.

Globalive, I await your arrival with breathless anticipation!

8 comments:

  1. I am in Calgary and my contract with Rogers expired years ago and I am on month to month. I wanted a plan that I could use when I go to Yuma AZ in Jan. Rogers wants to soak me 70 bucks a month for I believe 200 minutes and this is over my usual 35 bucks that I have to pay each month , and I can't carry the minutes over. I don't use that texting or tweeting nor do I want too. I so want to see the plans that this upstart company provides, although I am a little disappointed that they have not put a price plan on the net so far this weekend as they have been ready to roll out the service for some time now. I will give Rogers a chance to meet or beat Wind's prices and if they don't then they lose a customer and I have been with Rogers since 92 and prior to that Telus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed lets not stop at phone. Cable, Airlines as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think the new arrival is not going to try and make money, you are delluding yourself!
    With all of the Oil companies out there how come gas prices are all the same?
    It is called business and they deal in REVENUE

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two phones with bell mobility,, pay as you go.. $30 every 60 days, carry over the unused time,, credit of $1800.00 so far. wish we could cash some of it in on their products at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian, thank you for the lecture in economics. I never knew that corporations sought to make profit. Oil is a fantastic example of COLLUSION where the major oil producers (OPEC) control supply to set the price. If they all agree to sell at the inflated price and nobody "goes for the blond" they can exert monopoly control and then they make abnormal profits and the commodity price is fixed to the consumer.

    The big 3 cell phone providers in Canada collude to maintain inflated prices. By allowing in a competitor who can sell at a lower price, either the other companies drop their prices to match or risking losing customers. If Globalive just comes in and prices at the current market rate, none of us win and they won't get my business. I am only going to dump Rogers if Globalive significantly undercuts their rates, which shouldn't be hard.

    Thanks for the lesson Ian, but I suggest leaving economics to the economists...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bought an unlocked cel phone for $100, a Rogers sim card for $12 at ebay. Paygo card $10. If Globalive is cheaper, no problem. Just change sim cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like a better plan too, but it has to work outside the major cities - and, near the mountains, that's not that far away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monopolies never create fair pricing and the big three have had a monopoly for generations on communication.
    I hope they all go belly up.

    ReplyDelete