Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Goods; a movie review

Last night I rented and watched the film The Goods starring Jeremy Piven. If you are a fan of Ari Gold in Entourage, you will enjoy this movie. This was the hardest that I have laughed since Ignatieff's Sudbury speech. It does an excellent job of exaggerating some of the stereotypes of salesmen, or at least the most hardcore breed of salesman like some used car salesmen and Primerica. I don't believe that this accurately represents the entire demographic of salesmen, but as someone who has worked in sales, there are people like this. Anyone ever heard of DS MAX?

I know that I laughed a lot, and I even had to take a break half an hour into the movie because I had been laughing so much it hurt. I know that Jeremy Piven has more versatility as an actor, but he is really type casting himself into the Ari Gold persona. Fortunately for him he is great at it. Jeremy Piven might do the best agent/sales character in television history, and I'm not kidding. Though it might shine too bright a light on the fringe of salesmanship, if you accept it as a satire you can enjoy the acting more.

I recommend this movie if you want to laugh. It made me laugh on a scale of 9 out of 10. That is roughly where I would rank Tropic Thunder.

2 comments:

  1. "You were the first man to wear a Von Dutch trucker cap."

    "I really regret that."

    "As well you should."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put this on my list of movies to watch. Thanks.
    Love comedies. Never tire of watching "What about Bob?" and love Seinfeld and King of Queens.

    dodocanspell

    ReplyDelete