Tuesday, October 6, 2009

From Belinda to Dhalla

I saw Ruby Dhalla on television today being asked if she was going to switch parties, which she denied with a coy look on her face. When I heard the breaking rumour, I didn't really believe it. She has said some very negative things about Conservatives in the past, and I sincerely doubt that she would ever cross the floor. But as I was watching her speak, I began to visualize her wearing Tory blue, and she became very compelling. Then I had to slap myself in the face and say "remember Belinda!"

I will confess that I have a weakness for political women who are "easy on the eyes", and so before I could write any opinion on whether or not Ruby Dhalla should be embraced by the Conservative Party if she decided to cross, I had to reflect on Belinda Stronach. This was before I had a blog, but when Belinda entered the political scene to unite the PC and Alliance I was completely "smitten". I adored Belinda. She was helping facilitate a merger that needed to happen, and she is both gorgeous and a moderate. She represented a demographic that the Conservatives absolutely needed to court and I was "all in".

When she crossed the floor, I was devastated. I was visibly shaken for at least a week. Strangers on campus were coming up to me and asking what was wrong. But shortly after she crossed, suddenly the hypnotic affection had been snapped. I then asked myself for the first time; how in the Hell can you justify running for Prime Minister with no experience in the legislature? Why of all people did she start “banging” the deputy leader? Then I began to realize that all she ever wanted was power, and she temporarily increased her power by exploiting a desperate Paul Martin. Then I began to chart share prices of Magna International against her political career, and saw the correlations. She was a sort of "Manchurian Candidate" all along and I couldn't see it because I adored her.

This time around, if Ruby Dhalla is indeed negotiating a deal to cross the floor, I can't have an opinion. She is like a Siren, and I am like an Argonaut. Somebody chain me to a mast when we sail by this exhibit, because I cannot allow what I feel in my underpants to overrule what I think in my brain.

That's all I have to say about Ruby Dhalla ever again...

5 comments:

  1. I am actually making an effort to avoid that mistake yet again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping Iggy would make the Defense critic . . . DND could outfit her with some nice CADPAT gear - miniskirts and tube tops.

    She could do a morale tour for the boys in Afghanistan.

    Maybe she has musical talent as well as a bodacious set of ta-tas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda Stronach is just so-so. Honestly, I don't get what the hype is about her being "hot." Cause she's not in my opinion.

    Ruby Dhalla has this pompous flair when she speaks on TV, and sometimes her makeup makes her look like a clown.

    I'm telling you, Rona Ambrose is the real deal. Smart, stylish, and youthful. She beats Stronach and Dhalla combined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Rona Ambrose is a more attractive woman, but the first thing that drew me to Belinda was that she was bringing the parties together. Yes she was doing it for selfish reasons, but I was frustrated that knuckleheads like Joe Clark and Scott Bryson were blocking the merger like they wanted to stay in opposition forever. Belinda did have an aura of heroism that I found alluring.

    ReplyDelete