Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Thank You Conservative Volunteers

Prior to the election I predicted that the difference would be the ground game, which is what drove the Tories to 44% in Ontario (where Nanos had them at 36% the day before) and took the party over the top across the country. We all owe a big thank you to all the volunteers who pounded the pavement, who drove people to the polls, who repaired vandalized campaign signs on a daily basis, who knocked on doors; all right minded people owe you a debt of gratitude. It does make a Tory majority feel just a little bit sweeter when you have contributed to it.

I can't claim credit for being a volunteer. I earn roughly $1.25 per hour for my blogging work, so I have been corrupted by commercial gain. Oh well, I would like to claim some credit for relentlessly hammering Iggy Pop over the last 2 years. He has even lost his seat! In the fall of 2009 I blogged Can Ignatieff even win Etobicoke Lakeshore? Can I claim to be the first pundit to predict Iggy would lose his seat?

7 comments:

  1. As a volunteer, I have noticed that people are reluctant to state their party of support publically if they are changing their usual pattern. This is expressed visibly in their rufusal of lawn signs.

    They will tell the party directly, whom they support if the enquirer is well identified. They will not tell a random pollster who may be the rival party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of 200 volunteers in our riding. Our MP won with a 2-1 margin over the opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I volunteered as a scrutineer for the west vancouver seatosky sunshine coast. riding I was the conservative scrutineer. and I text all my friend on voting day to vote for there local conservative mp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wife and I volunteered for our now MP-elect Joyce Bateman in dumping Anita Neville (FINALLY) in Winnipeg South Centre. It was awesome, and the lack of class on Neville's part only vindicated Conservative voters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim_L - Congrats on helping to rid Ottawa of that scourge! And for her to say she was afraid for her children's future now that there is a Conservative majority... well, now she knows how my parents felt when the Liberals won in 1993! : p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put a lot of time into this election and it was more than worth it! I was awake all night and I havent felt like this since '88 - Wow! awesome feeling - Liberals beaten in Toronto and all over Ontario!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the pollsters underestimated the Conservative strength in Ontario. There is no doubt that part of the shocking 20 point lead the Cons. had in Ontario was the result of a strong ground campaign on the last weekend. The clear message to "blue grits" was also the right target. This enraged the leftards at the Liblogs which is further proof it was effective.

    The Conservatives used their volunteers with precision to win a few GTA ridings and it was the difference between PM Layton and PM Harper.

    Don't forget to congratulate the Tory voting base which clearly understood that voting was very important.

    ReplyDelete