Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Pacific

Having rented and watched episodes 1 and 2 of the Pacific, the most recent Hanks/Spielberg WWII collaboration, I can't say that I enjoyed it. I thought that episode 1 sucked, and episode 2 was alright. I doubt that I will rent the rest of the series, I'll just wait for it to appear on free TV. In fact having watched disc 1, I'm starting to think that we have done enough WWII movies/series. This feels like a series too far. I don't regret spending $4 on episodes 1 and 2, but I'm not willing to spend $4 more on episodes 3 and 4. If you are going to watch a WWII piece, I recommend "Battle 360" featuring the USS Enterprise.

5 comments:

  1. Not enough war movies or series about Canadians in WWII. Endless reruns of the Dieppe disaster don't count.

    For instance my father was one of the Canadians in the RAF before and during the war. Never saw anything about it drama or non-fiction on the CBC besides the disgusting The Valour and the Horror series which dissed Bomber Command.

    He also tried Germans who had killed Canadian airmen P.O.W.s before the Nuremberg war crime trials even took place.

    Better yet, how about movies or series about some of the amazing exploits in Afghanistan, for example that bridge that was built against incredible odds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched Battle 360 on History. Absolutely a great series. The only part I could NOT watch was the end of the last episode, when they cut up the "Big E" for scrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... He also tried Germans who had killed Canadian airmen P.O.W.s before the Nuremberg war crime trials even took place."

    Please, Anon, could you provide a wee bit more detail about those trials - that is historically interesting.

    Michael Maltby
    Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has its moments, but you are right some episodes are entirely useless and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see a 'Band of Brothers' from the German perspective: Eastern Front perhaps?

    ReplyDelete