Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Grey Cup

I don't have any prediction's for today's Grey Cup because I don't follow the CFL closely enough to have an opinion on the outcome. My strongest attachment to the Grey Cup was my mother going into labour with me at a Grey Cup party. I never bothered asking if they stayed to watch the rest of the game, but that would be a funny TV commercial. Generally I am excited for the end of the CFL season because that means that Vancouver sports talk radio and TSN start going hockey almost around the clock. I played high school football in Northern Ontario and we played 4 downs. I love football, but strongly prefer 4 downs. It leads to more creativity and running plays. I would rather watch a running back break a 60 yard run than see a receiver catch a 60 yard pass. I played Offensive Line, team captain, won 2 regional championships.

4 comments:

  1. I'll save you the trouble of making a prediction,Ice: Montreal 31 Saska-etc. 24

    I'd like to see Provinces with long multi-syllabic names shortened, by LAW of course,the Canadian way, in consideration of those like me who type at about 14 words per minute.

    DMorris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played 3 downs and I prefer the Canadian game as you have to be in better shape to run the field.I can also relate to the players and their salaries unlike the multimillionaires in the NFL.
    Remember the Americans took the consept of the Grey Cup from us and created the Super Bowl as two famous coaches in the NFL came out of Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Bud Grant and his defensive back coach Tom Landry.
    One thing is that the Grey Cup is still the common man's game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the CFL, it is far better than the cookie cutter predictability of the NFL. I also played football in high school, saftey, and my last 2 years linebacker. Kind of a weird coincidence Iceman, my older brother was born on Grey Cup day and was appropriately named Gray. The spelling of my brothers name was different, because my parents were from Scotland and didn't know anything about Canadian style football, but they loved Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I love the CFL, I too am glad to see the season finally come to an end. That way I can cancel the sports bundle that I have to pay for just to get TSN. I'll reinstate it for the start of the CFL season in July 2011.

    ReplyDelete