Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Making sense of it all

"I've been trying to make some sense of it all, but I can see it makes no sense at all"

- Stealers Wheel

I have been trying to make some sense of the new Liberal strategy, but if they actually believe that they can win an election, they are clearly not making an accurate appraisal of the Nov 2008 data. If they are not aware that there are a number of different roads to a Tory majority, then they are making a mistake. I gotta believe there is at least one mathematician in that Big Red Machine relaying outcome probabilities. They can't be this naive, can they? If they do understand the folly of going to the polls, then the only strategy that makes any logical sense to me is to topple the government and ask the Governor General to make Ignatieff Prime Minister in a formal or informal coalition with the NDP. I am no expert on the machinations of replacing PMs who win elections, but this would appear to be the only strategy that makes any tactical sense given that their probability of being elected by the electorate is slim to none.

If this were to be the case, I'm sure all us folks in the center would love to know how far left Iggy intends to swing in a partnership with the NDP. My only apprehension against believing a new and improved "Coalition option" is how could a Czarist and a Bolshevik manage a partnership?

No comments:

Post a Comment