Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Your favourite historical figure

I would just like to update people on my poll of which historical figure you would most like to visit for an opinion on the world today and Winston Churchill is running away with it. I am disappointed with Adam Smith only earning 8% of the popular vote despite my endorsement. Wouldn't we all love to ask the Scottish father of modern economics what we got wrong? I don't believe he ever intended for sub-prime mortgages. Maybe my own "Excellent Adventure" would be the most excellent if I were allowed to go retrieve Adam Smith and Charles Darwin, lock them in a room with a decade worth of newspapers for a year, and see what they have to say about our economy as it is. God only knows what they would have to say about "too big to fail". Once upon a time people believed the Titanic was too big to sink. It sunk and we got over it.

I am also a big fan of Winston, and he is 2nd to Adam Smith as my prime candidate...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite - smoking cigars and also the drinking of fine Scotch before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals in between them..."

-Winston Churchill on dining with the abstinent King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabiato

5 comments:

  1. I must admit, I very much also selected Adam Smith, but then I thought, hmm, doesn't Winston have first hand experience with Islamic extremists, and that was a top of mind question on my mind when I saw your poll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have added Margaret Thatcher.. I would call her in a heartbeat

    ReplyDelete
  3. In hindsight, I should also have added John Rambo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Churchill? What about Jesus or Moses?? (real conservative)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Stallone gets enough credit for collapsing the Soviet Union. "If I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"

    ReplyDelete