Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sun TV Denied Mandatory Inclusion

The CRTC has denied the proposed Sun TV 24 hour news network a Category 1 license for mandatory inclusion into cable packages. As a consumer I would like to purchase this product as soon as it becomes available, but I can't say that I support making people buy it. I don't think people should be forced to buy CBC Newsworld, so I don't think people should be forced to buy Sun TV. Those pundits proclaiming this to be some type of massive defeat for Kory Teneycke likely overestimated the probability that mandatory inclusion would be granted. I think this was a long shot at best, but if you are Kory obviously you have to take it. Mandatory inclusion gives you guaranteed subscriptions and more money, so even if the probability of getting a seat in first class is 10%, you have to try.

There is nothing wrong with Category 2. Put together a quality network that people want to watch, and there will be eyeballs. Hopefully this does not discourage Quebecor from making the capital expenditures necessary to get the party started, now that there aren't guaranteed subscriptions. So you have to negotiate individual subscription deals with cable providers, there is a demand for the product and eventually supply will follow.

If you build it, they will come.

8 comments:

  1. Kory should have been given category 1 and the Harper gov't should have over ruled the CRTC on this decision.

    While I also believe in pure à la carte system the situation we have now is CBC Newsworld and its left wing opinion being given an unfair competitive advantage.

    Until such time as we switch to a model that gives consumers choice everyone should be treated fairly and the same.

    That means giving Sun TV category 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandatory inclusion went against my grain.
    I prefer the chance to choose and pay for what I want.
    In the end it will show that we don't need mandatory inclusion for CBC or CTV, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a choice other than either CTV or CNN. All real alternatives cost me money. The CRTC has no problem making me pay for French Channels I don't watch or the aboriginal channel that I don't watch.

    Why should the CRTC have a say in what I want to watch; I don't live in Quebec where they government controls the lives of the "free thinkers" including how they name their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in favour of moving the existing CTV, CBC and Global products to the same level as SunTV.

    No more fees for anyone and equal footing for eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This linked article is why we need Sun TV or at least the promise of what Sun TV will be like. The reporter never wrote a challenge to what Iffy said at all. Thinking back, several interviews when the Afgan detainee issue was the hot news, I seem to recall the NDP wing of the Liberal party making some very defamatory claims about our troops as well as a certain war room guy and the former Minister of Defence.

    http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2010/07/17/14746471.html

    Here is the gist of what was reported.First sentence from a Liberal candidate.

    “I abhor the fact that Canadians have been involved with torture to get information from prisoners,” Prout said earlier this year.

    Ignatieff said Saturday that wasn't the party's view.

    “No member of the Liberal Party believes that Canadian soldiers have been directly involved in torture. That's not the issue,” he said during a stop at Barrie's Farmers' Market. “No one has ever said or will ever say in this party that Canadian soldiers were involved in torture."

    Sounds like the Liberal candidate didn't get the new talking points and was working with the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOPS my bad. The guy is a Sun Media reporter. I guess were doomed or we can hope he is just an intern filing wire stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandatory inclusion should be done away with all together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a subscriber to basic cable, I am forced to accept the Native Channel as part of the package. I understand that even among aboriginals, this channel has no significant audience. Why is the CRTC placed in a position to dictate what we "should" watch, as opposed to what we choose to watch.

    ReplyDelete