Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thoughts On The Monarchy

When you write 1100 blog posts over a 10 month period, you will inevitably write things that piss off people who would normally agree with you. It is as Ray would say, "the way she goes". One of my beliefs is that Canada should cut England (specifically the Monarchy) out of our constitution. I believe that the powers of the Governor General (the Queen's representative) should be reduced, or else have the position eliminated altogether. This is not just about me having some petty vendetta against someone who might have "pissed in my beer"; it has everything to do with the power of the GG to allow the 2nd and 3rd place parties to form Government shortly after an election.

I will sometimes rail against the British Monarchy like I rail against Ignatieff and the NDP, and yes that can piss people off. I don't apologize for it, and I try not to worry about what might upset certain people when I'm writing. When you start paying too much attention to what other people think, writer's block often ensues. I should state that I have no specific complaints against Elizabeth. She has never done anything to upset me. I have met a few a**holes from England, but that's not why I don't want the head of the Royal Family to be my head of state. I regard my Prime Minister as my head of state, and I strongly believe that the leader of the party who wins the most seats should be Prime Minister.

What is at the heart of my opposition to the Monarchy? We are facing a high probability of minority governments for the rest of my adult life. I spend a lot of time thinking of how I will react that day when we have an election and the Liberals and NDP vote down the ensuing throne speech so that they can ask the GG to form government. That day might come sooner rather than later, and at that time I will be vocally challenging the right of the GG to do so. In theory, the GG is supposed to do what the Monarch commands. I'm just laying out the foundation of my challenge against such a decision before it happens, and I am very concerned about the possibility or probability that it does happen.

If I piss you off in the meantime, deal with it. But you might like what I have to say when the Tories win 148 seats in the next election and Jack Layton gets sworn in as Prime Minister. What I wrote yesterday I didn't put much effort or thought into. There is very little traffic on political blogs at the end of a month/holiday when Parliament has been adjourned. I just needed to write something, however short (knowing few would read it), and the Queen was the only thing on TV. If you are mad at me, I promise I will make it up to you in the next 1-10 years when we have a constitutional crisis created by the Queen's representative in Canada. Perhaps the Prime Minister will appoint a new GG who would never accept the worst case scenario of a Liberal-Dipper-Bloc coalition, we'll see. I remind you that we will face many minority governments going forward, and the power of the Monarchy will come in to question. We avoided a catastrophe last time. Next time, we might not be so lucky.

I might not have any actual animosity towards Elizabeth, but I loathe Prince Charles. I don't want that man having any power over Canada, ever. If he becomes King, I will be full steam ahead on my anti-Monarchy opinion, but that's another story altogether.

And while I’m at it, I don’t think Sarah Palin is qualified to be President of the United States... Hell, if I’m going to piss off the Monarchists, I may as well piss off the Palinists too. It is Canada Day, so very few are paying attention to political blogs today anyway.

8 comments:

  1. As you mentioned in another post about Vancouver landmarks, the history of English Canada is being re-written and the monarchy is a huge part of that history, so I say no way. Younger people are letting our traditions go too easily, and an early Merry Christmas to you! Already, I have seen my grandfather's pioneer ranching photos disappear from an Alberta museum and few Canadians have a clue about my other ancestors among the Untied Empire Loyalists who first settled Upper Canada in 1783, followed by scores of other pre-1940 UK immigrants.

    Parliament generally works and reform must be done with huge caution and immense discussion. You need not assume that Quebec won't change - they have done so quickly in the past. Practically, it is very challenging to change the constitution, so it will not happen until either the Queen passes on and Charles becomes her successor or there is a huge crisis frowned upon by a vocal majority of Canadians. I agree, Charles will never replace his mother in our hearts. I am only nominally religious, but God save the Queen and our constitutional monarchy.

    Sarah Palin is dynamic, but she would make as bad a President as Obama. We like her politics somewhat better, but she is, like Obama, a communicator, who is highly unready for either executive leadership or the world stage. The Republicans need to get moving on a successor, though. Americans want someone safe next time, I think - enough of hope 'n change. Sarah is not safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took the words right out of my mouth. I don"t think I can stomach having a royal Al Gore on my money let alone to call him King. Screw that noise. I'll renounce cash currency. I'll devote my energy to dissent. I'll see that Charlie is the last King of Canada....

    The Queen is a nice enough lady though so I'm not in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex how much money do you spend on the Queen??.50 cents maybe this trip.It,s a piece of Canada,s history for gods sake.She takes nothing from us and makes a lot of people feel good.She ask,s for nothing and quite willingly comes to Canada for special occasions when asked.What is wrong with you jerks??You think your big shots.??You just have big mouths.Let the monarchy go away peacefully as it will.This big bravado you have when royalty enters the room has you all pissed off because you are too small to enjoy it for what it is,a tradition from the past that will soon fade out of your small minds,but remain in many Canadians as fond memories,that by the way did no harm to anyone and cost us next to nothing to enjoy..GET A LIFE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the time is up for Monarchy, although I'm not going to hold by breath waiting for it to happen.

    The good news is that the end of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II and the beginnings of the reign of Court Jester Charles just might do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that it ain't easy to get rid of a Monarchy; very costly and time consuming, having said that I do believe Canada has a choice of which part of the Royal family becomes the Head of State. Canada does not have to take Charles as King, Canadians can choose sons Willie or Harry, even one of Charles' brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry Bertie, I'm just looking a couple of moves down the chessboard. The power of the Monarchy over the Governor General and thus over our Parliament will be a major issue at some point in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think all the elder Canadian monarchists will be dead by then Iceman and the younger crowd will all be happy to just bow down to McGuinty and have no memories in their old age other than they paid their taxes and paid their taxes and paid their taxes.I don,t think the second world war generation gave their lives so this me,me,me generation can just destroy Canada,s past history and traditions.No one wants Charles as King and it will never happen,but having The Queen visit Canada is not a hardship on anyone.It is in fact an honor that the USA would love to have.We still have it for a few years ,lets just enjoy it as a tradition and in the future as a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am intrigued that there is even a notion of removing the monarchy, crossing anyone's lips...constitutional monarchy is controlled by the government of the day...yet no one says they want to get rid of those sharp tongues and dull minds that cackled in the last unproductive session and every session back to and including 1867. Politicians are self-serving, the last Governor General only perked when it affected her interest, not to mention her majesty Clarkson's antics. So why doesn't anyone say "enough" with corrupt government, can you imagine how much money would be saved by turning off the heat in the Parliament Buildings...exactly!!!! Leave Her Majesty, her heirs and successors alone because she has remained Our Head of State, with no complaint...and it appears you really don't know what power she CAN wield...

    ReplyDelete