Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Big Census

The decision by the Conservatives to scrap the long census form for a shorter voluntary survey is drawing criticism from all sides of the political spectrum (at least from those who care about the census). I don't think the sky is falling, but I support making a random proportion of the population fill out a longer form with extra questions. Though I am a stats junkie, and I want as many statistics as possible to plug into my equations. I would rather ask too much than not enough. So the damned thing takes you 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes and you miss part of American Idol; just answer the damned questions.

That data will become our history, and mathematicians like me will be analyzing it forevermore. Maybe we don't have a good reason to ask some of the more obscure questions now, but maybe 20 years from now there will be a reason to look back into the time capsule? So you miss part of survivor, we waste our time on far less important matters. The Liberals are trying to run with this issue and claiming that this is part of a dark scheme to deny poor people government services.  If that's what you want to go with, fine.  I understand that you did not get the desired traction from loonie toons trashing Toronto.

5 comments:

  1. My observation is quality vs quantity. Accountability is a problem with civil servants and government. A retired civil servant and the Liberal media are swinging!

    Reminds me of the same act with funding cuts in the NGO's.

    Look to Haiti reconstruction. Best intentions and money is NOT flowing. Why would the Census be any different?

    If the all the MP's have a problem with providing details to the Internal Board Economy ( $ 500 million per year) why do demand citizens provide 'details'?

    I suggest the MPs should lead by example and stop blocking the AG and let us see who is suing who for wrongful dismmissal.

    The same thing happens with H.R. departments being invoked about privacy.

    We are losing money on boondoggles every few years when an AG does a review at all levels of government.

    I don't see the Census as some wonderful solution, just another project that is funded by our taxes.

    Obama is using tax dollars to help his employment numbers through hiring Census workers.

    Since the 70's Pet's "Social Justice" campaign have the bleeding hearts declared things worse or better?
    After the billions spent it appears the NGO's, Liberal press still think NOT enough money is being spent wisely.

    A Census report confirms, our priorities don't match our political will. Is that really a shocker?

    I want CUTS, more please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'The total estimated cost of the 2006 census is $567 million spread over seven years, employing more than 25,000 full and part-time census workers.' wiki

    Why over 7 years?
    Chasing Canadians who did not fill out the form.
    And how many charges were laid?
    None that I can find.

    Long form asks: Permission to use income information from individual's income tax file. Income from child benefits. Income tax paid

    Yah, and who vets the 25000 workers that have that kind of information in their hot little hands?
    Do they have access to our SIN numbers?
    Birth and death dates?


    Big brother government...be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s.
    He (Clement) added that he took the privacy concerns to Statistics Canada and asked they be incorporated into the next census.
    “They gave me options and we chose one of those options,” he said.

    “This is a methodology that Statistics Canada offered to us and if it's good enough for Statistics Canada, it should be good enough for some of our critics.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the point you make about the data becoming our history. Aren't we old-fashioned to care about these things, but still I do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm lets see.We get a SIN number when we are born.We get health cards,drivers licenses,and pay income tax.Going to any type of schooling...yep you guessed it registered again.Personally thats enough info for govt to have.
    I dont mind saying present for a population count of the country.
    I do mind when you ask me what my race, or religion is.I am Canadian.It matter not what faith or racial group im a part of eh?

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete