Wednesday, March 3, 2010

All thy sun's command

In my 30 years on this planet I have sang our national anthem thousands of times. Now materializes this initiative to change the lyrics from "all thy son's command" to a more gender neutral version; where I have been living under the impression that the verse always was "all thy sun's command" in reference to worship of the Egyptian sun god. Our nation is a mosaic where we accept the culture of others. I had just thought that line was there in tribute to Egyptian Canadians; blissfully unaware that it represented some foul oppression of women's rights and gender equality. You learn something new every day.

I would like to ask, is this initiative really necessary? Son or sun, I have never met a single person who has ever complained about the chauvinist bias of our national anthem. This seems pointless to me. Heavens forbid I pull an Ignatieff, but "I can't see it". What’s the point?

7 comments:

  1. yeah, yeah Iceman...very funny!! I think it is a good idea to change it to "all dost command" to do away with the whining of the nitwit feminists amongst my gender. I had never noticed the "sons" significance anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Maria, this post was intended as a joke and in my own webpoll I voted that the anthem should not be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Join the Facebook group, "Canadians for keeping the National Anthem the way it is." Several Tory staffers have already joined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pi** on it lets just get rid of all our cultural heritage. we don't need it. we can just adopt any foolishness that suits the moment. what the hell lets stop calling the country canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about "in all thy guns command"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was just bait for the opposition

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, the original 1908 lyrics by Robert Stanley Weir has as a second line "True patriot love thou dost in us command". Don't know exactly when 'sons' came into the picture.

    ReplyDelete