Saturday, March 27, 2010

Great Ball of Fire in the Sky

I am starting to get confused between Earth Hour, Earth Day, Earth Second, Earth Week, and especially Earth Millennium. There are things that I do for the environment every day of my life. I don't litter, I recycle, and I endeavour to keep my own ecosystem clean. But I don't believe that carbon is "pollution", and that in fact it is plant food. By driving my car, I am feeding hungry plants who in turn give me oxygen. I don't appreciate alarmists like David Suzuki and Al Gore trying to scare people into believing them. They are trying to frighten our nation's children into indoctrination. David Suzuki makes a lot less money if Global Warming ceases to exist. Now he has started to dump his excuses into "acid oceans", where all aquatic life will be dead in a few years.

Today's blog post was brought to you by Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire. Whatever Barry was thinking when he wrote it, I enjoy the song as a parody of the apocalypse. Below I dug out my blog post from last year's Earth Day.

"there'll be no one to save with the world in her grave,
take a look around you boy, it's bound to scare you boy!"

-Barry McGuire

Fire in the Sky
Wednesday, April 22, 2009, posted by The Iceman

Happy Earth Day! I did not do anything noteworthy to celebrate today, other than driving my car around needlessly and flushing the toilet a lot. I did see an interesting story in the news this evening regarding the Sun emitting less heat than previously recorded. Satellites have confirmed that there has been a recent lull in solar flares in recent years. I did take Introductory Astronomy in my freshman year at University, but I was unaware that solar flares operate cyclically. When I first saw this story break, my initial reaction was that it was going to be used to explain why global warming has stopped despite Co2 levels continuously rising. Anyone who experienced this past winter in the Northern Hemisphere knows what I'm talking about. In Vancouver, spring came 3 weeks late this year (thus trees are cranking out pollen at an accelerated rate, and my allergies are going bananas). Lest we forget that Al Gore won a Nobel Prize convincing us that there was a direct linear relationship between Co2 in the atmosphere and temperature, where global average temperature has not increased since 1998.

Who could have guessed that there exists a relationship between temperature on the Earth and the amount of "cosmic magma" that our great ball of fire in the sky shoots in our direction? The Sun fires star-matter at us and it gets hot, it stops and it gets cold. Fantastic, where's my Nobel Prize? Am I suggesting that the Global Warming movement has been debunked, and anyone who advocates their position is misguided? No. What I am saying is that the debate is not over. We need healthy skepticism on both sides of the aisle to discuss healthy and constructive solutions to real problems.

For example, I would like to stop buying oil from the Middle East and Russia. Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, and other mischievous potentially destructive regimes are almost solely dependent on oil exports to fund their governments. I would like to cut off their source of money. In order to break the dependence on crude oil, we need an alternative source of energy. In the near term, that has to be electricity. However, if we want to put an electric car in every driveway, we need to dramatically increase our capacity to produce electricity. If the demand for electricity grows exponentially faster than our ability to produce it, the price of it will go through the roof. I support an "all of the above" strategy on electricity. More nuclear, more wind turbines, more solar panels, more everything. As it stands, Canada benefits greatly from the sale of oil, but we also have a lot of uranium. Pound for pound, exploding atoms are the most efficient means of producing energy that we currently can produce. Let’s produce more. That concludes what I have to say on Earth Day…

3 comments:

  1. Earth Millennium just ended. You'll have to wait for the next epoch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not me I go to stores I make sure I buy stuff that aren't friendly on the enviroment. sometimes I do but it's not lack of trying just I need to get in and out fast and that is all they have. other wise I wouldn't I try to buy regular name brand items and not stuff that says enviromently friendly. and I make sure that I ask for plastic bags to only because I don't beleive in that were the major cause of global warming and I hate change in stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy, that didn't make a whole lot of sense. That sounds more like John McCallum in the early hours after a raucus Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete