Monday, April 12, 2010

Best Canadian Political Shows

Last night Hunter at Climbing out of the Dark wrote a post about Canadian political shows, asking people what if any they still pay attention to. I figured; why not turn that into a poll question? Hunter received quite a lot of feedback, which I browsed to collect 10 nominations. You may select multiple answers. The question is not which is the best show, but which do you tune in for? 

The show that I enjoy above all others in Canada is Charles Adler. I got my start as an e-mailer to Adler Online, and it was the first time that I had my written words read aloud by a professional orator. I liked the sound of it, and my blog was born. I tend to lose interest when Chuck talks about the best coffee machines, talking to strangers, or pet eulogies; but the boss of talk is the best in the country when he zooms in on the political class. I am also a big fan of the Roy Green Show.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting results so far, it appears no one watches CTV Question Period, or Soloman. I guess they don't care about the 37% of their potential audience they are missing. Think of the advertising dollars they are losing because of their bias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought more people watched Question Period on CTV. I don't, but I get a lot of comments about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is because CTV puts segments of the show on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a member of Adler Nation. I don't listen or watch much else. Maybe if Jim Shaw feels like enough of a rebel, he'll offer some more lively opinion programming on Global TV.

    I enjoy one American radio program called the Dennis Prager Show. He talks politics, religion, almost everything in life. Very little sports though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started watching Power Play just now, but turned it off. Its all Guergis. Every segment (I browsed the other topics). Nothing about the polls, the economy, international nuclear talks. Nothing. Nobody watches because there is nothing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I NEVER miss Adler. I only miss Dave when he is on vacation because I rarely enjoy his replacements and I try very hard to listen to Roy Green.
    My husband and I had to make a trek to Manitoba recently and it was a hoot trying to tune into the various Corus affiliates. The Sask guy (can't remember his name) was great and managed to keep his audience engaged on one topic for 3 hours. I was impressed.

    I used to watch all of the political programming up until Jane Taber hit the airwaves. I even remember googling her to find out who the heck this crazy person was and found her to have quite a few unflattering posts about her.
    When Duffy left, that was it. I couldn't listen to the gossipy slanted garbage any longer. I'm done with all the Canadian networks and rarely even tune into our local news as I find them regurgitating the same stuff from Fife etc.

    It's so disappointing to have them turn so partisan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Duffy left, that was the end - I only watch when linked to blogging tories for detail or to be grossed out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bec, the Sask guy's name is John Gormley, and he's fantastic. He should be syndicated nationally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My top three picks ... Rutherford, Adler and Green in that order.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where is Lowell Green in your poll? In Ottawa he's the top dog of conservative talk radio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mario Dumont, the former head of the Action Démocratique Party, on Mario Dumont 360 on the V channel. The best political show (on Monday to Friday)in French Canada.

    ReplyDelete