Monday, May 3, 2010

Best Political Quote?

Winston Churchill once said "it is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations" and as we brace ourselves for the election of a new Prime Minister in the United Kingdom, I would like to ask what you think is the best political quote of all time? Surely, Winston is the favourite with the most to choose from. I am looking for quotes that are either political in nature, or that come directly from a politician.

Here are some of my own personal favourites:

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
     -Ronald Reagan

"When I am abroad, I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the government of my own country. I make up for lost time when I come home."
     -Sir Winston Churchill

"I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians."
     -Charles De Gaulle

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
     -Sir Winston Churchill

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war"
     -Albert Einstein

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
     -Sir Winston Churchill

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
     -Mao Tse-Tung

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
     -Sir Winston Churchill

"I do not know with what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones."
     -Albert Einstein

10 comments:

  1. "If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it."
    - Julius Caesar

    "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."
    - Julius Caesar

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you mess with me, I will mess with you until I'm done."

    -Iggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."

    Winston Churchill

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It is better to have a known enemy than a forced ally"

    - Napoleon Bonaparte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Churchill in referring to Charles De Gaulle:" It's better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benjamin Disraeli on the difference between a misfortune and a calamity:
    "If Mr. Gladstone fell into the Thames, that would be a misfortune, and if anybody pulled him out that, I suppose, would be a calamity".

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Brother, you asked for it!" Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure if mine got lost or I did not hit return.

    Former Mayor of Carmel

    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood


    It takes tremendous discipline to control the influence, the power you have over other people's lives. -Clint Eastwood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
    -Sir Winston Churchill
    Yes that would be me.

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete