Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Montreal Now Canada's Team

It pains me to congratulate the Montreal Canadiens on a job well done, but they have defied expectation for the second time in these playoffs and they deserve a salute even from those who normally despise them. They are now the final Canadian team still competing for the championship, set to play either Boston or Philadelphia. I will be very disappointed if Philly pulls off the extremely rare 0-3 comeback, as I had resolved myself to cheer for the Bruins for the rest of the post-season.

I don't know if I can actually cheer for Montreal. I may just have to dial out of the playoffs until next season. I know that I can't listen to sportstalk radio in Vancouver right now. As the wise philosopher Dennis Lemieux once said "my allergies to these f**king fans has returned". Luongo is not Cloutier. Whatever good will he might have accumulated in Vancouver for winning Olympic gold on home ice now seems to be completely gone. The fans seem content to eat him alive, and that off colour "at least I kept it under 7" joke was just a dumb idea. That came off really bad, though on the same night as LeBron James losing and telling Cleveland fans that they have been spoiled with all his good games.

5 comments:

  1. You gotta cheer for Montreal! I have been cheering for every Canadian team that have pass the second round of the NHL playoffs since '93, in hope that the cup comes back to Canada! Vancouver in '94 was a heart breaker, Edmonton and Calgary in the last few years were too! We gotta break the curse! It's been 17 years since the cup was won by a Canadian team!

    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of *course* you can cheer for Les Glorieux. They have The Tradition, The History, Rocket, Toe Blake, Jacques Plante, and all that. It's not like Canada's asking you to cheer for the Leafs -- and they have a better tradition than the New York Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pas de probleme. I've been a fan of Les Habitants for more years than I care to remember. The game tonight was really good, and congrats to them. Incidentally, did you notice that their goalie has a mini Slovak flag back of his mask?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the East we are guaranteed to see at least a #6 vs 8 final and quite possibly a 7 vs 8, while in the West it is a more expected 1 vs 2.


    Crazy, but damn entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This should be interesting. Montreal vs Boston. Politics aside Montreal is our last chance to bring our Cup home.

    I look forward to seeing Ken Dryden giving his leader a history about how hockey is played.

    It ain't "formative" as King Lear but it was his 63rd Birth Day, and I want him to lead the secret-coalition campaign.

    ReplyDelete