Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Vetting

My Little Oxford Dictionary defines "vetting" as "submit to careful and critical examination". Evidently to the NDP, this does not include plugging a candidate's name into a Google search. We saw multiple examples of this in the last Federal Election, and again in this BC Provincial Election. Infact in my own riding of West Vancouver, won by the man I voted for John Weston, we lost our NDP candidate because video of him surfaced on YouTube describing his experiences on LSD. Another BC NDP candidate was lost because he was found to be skinny dipping in the presence of young children, and in the past few days a BC NDP candidate was lost because of Facebook pictures of him groping women.

I ask myself, what came first, the chicken or the egg? Does the NDP attract loony candidates or do they select loons because they are a loony party? I don't know, it is probably a little bit of both. The only thing that I know for sure is that I dislike the NDP more than I like the Conservative Party that I vote for. Perhaps that seed was planted because I became politically aware as a youth in Boob Rae's Ontario, but it has been reinforced by their repeated decision to select lunatics at the riding level. If you scroll down my Blog you will see that I am no fan of the carbon tax man Gordon Campbell, but I am faced with the dilemma of either voting for a Ralph Nader-esque fledging BC Conservative Party and risk the NDP winning, or voting for someone that I don't like to block Marxists from winning the election. I am leaning towards voting strategically, despite my past condemnation of the strategic voting strategy federally. I have never missed an election at any level. I even voted in every Student's Council Election in University. But at least federally, each time I voted Conservative I went home at the end of the day and felt good about myself. I am not sure how I will feel voting for someone that I don't like, but I suspect that I will feel worse if the NDP wins.

All I can say with any certainty, is that this dilemma sucks. How can I vote for a party that advocates and introduced a carbon tax?

“Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.”

-Sir Winston Churchill

1 comment:

  1. I have the same dilemma, since I just read this A>M. that there will be a Conservative running in my riding, in the coming BC election. HMMMM, do I vote for a Conservative and risk the NDP to form the government or do I vote for Campbell, who is Liberal(this breaks my heart voting Liberal)? Decisions, decision, what am I to do?

    ReplyDelete